Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Tree Grows in Chicago?




I am so excited about our new neighborhood park being "created" here in the West Loop of Chi-town. It has been in the works for quite some years now but apparently, all the challenges and issues were settled and the construction has been well underway for the past few months.

I am fascinated that a barren, flat space, can be turned into something so wonderful with interesting sculpture and even several "hills"! And oh yeah, the trees too! With hard work and effort, not to mention some bulldozers and large machinery clanking and banging out our new little urban oasis, the neighborhood will be sporting a new look! A great effort to solidify the community spirit that is happening down here.
They tell us it will be open sometime around the beginning of July....it's fun to watch the neighborhood dogs as they walk by...I think they know that there's a new place that they will congregate and make some new friends!
I will post more pics to show the progress so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I loved seeing this park when I visited. It was so far behind what it is now. How exciting.

    It just so happens I am reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and if trees can grow out of concrete in Brooklyn and even on the Cornell campus surrounded by concrete, it can certainly grow in Chicago.

    The doggies will love it! A new place to sniff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I think I need to read that book again! I remember how meaningful it was when I was just a teen....be interesting to read as an adult....By the way, tons of peeps are peeking thru the fences everyday at the park site- there's such an excitement in the air- nature meets the concrete jungle at it's best!!

    ReplyDelete