Brochettes of Melon, Prosciutto, and Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/3 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 medium shallot, quartered
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small (about 2-pound) cantaloupe, halved crosswise, seeded, cut into 6 wedges, peeled
- 6 small fresh water-packed mozzarella balls or one 8-ounce ball,* drained
- 6 thin slices prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise, gathered into ruffle
- 6 8-inch wooden skewers
Cut each cantaloupe wedge crosswise in half. If using large mozzarella ball, trim and cut into 6 cubes. Alternate 1 melon piece, 1 piece ruffled prosciutto, 1 mozzarella ball or cube, 1 more prosciutto piece, and 1 more melon piece on each skewer. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 15 minutes before serving.)
Arrange skewers on platter. Drizzle with basil oil and sprinkle with cracked black pepper. Garnish with basil sprigs.
*Available at Italian markets, cheese shops, and some supermarkets.