Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Comfort Food:Pancakes




One of my fondest childhood memories is when our Mom would sometimes make us pancakes for dinner. I remember thinking it was kinda weird but secretly I think we all enjoyed it and would often plead with her to make them even more often! Sadly, I don't recall if she made them from scratch or if they were of the boxed variety, like Aunt Jemima or Hungry Jack. I'm going to go with the latter that they were not from scratch. With 5 kids to feed, I would go for the box too! I seem to have some memory of Hungry Jack in our pantry. This is what it looks like now and it seems to me it hasn't changed that much! My sibs are going to have to help me out on this one!

You are probably wondering when I will get to the good part of this post? Well here you go: I made some wonderful pancakes from scratch, but I didn't eat them for dinner! I was in the mood this weekend for a stack and did eat them for brunch rather than dinner. Not quite that same thrill, but needless to say, they hit the spot.

Here is my recipe for Walnut Pancakes:

1 1/2 cups spelt flour [or all-purpose flour]
1/2 cup rice flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 Tablespoon honey [or agave]
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup rice milk (you may need to use a little more or less)
1 egg
1/4-1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts

1. Stir flours, baking soda and salt together in a medium size bowl.
2. In a smaller bowl, beat the egg, add the rice milk (soy or regular is fine too), honey, and olive oil until blended. Stir in the walnuts.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry being careful not to over beat the mixture.
4. Cook on a hot griddle.

I made a blueberry raspberry sauce with some frozen berries I had on hand, or you can just top with maple syrup and sliced bananas too!

I am considering trying to recapture the past by making these for dinner sometime!

1 comment:

  1. Breakfast for dinner was one of my favorites! That and "fendfa" - for Fend for Yourself. That happened on Fridays, remember Jo?

    As for the pancakes, probably boxed. They were darn good though! Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete