Monday, September 27, 2010

Killa Salad Dressing



Cherry Belle, Red King, White Icicle, French Breakfast, Plum Purple, Gala and Roodbol, Daikon, Black Spanish.....just a few of the names of the many varieties of radishes that grow in the world! Grown seasonally, and super easy to grow at that, I am just obsessed with these lovely little beauties and their peppery goodness.

This weekend I picked up a pale pink variety at the farmer's market, and was so pleased at the gorgeous little red centers that were hiding inside after I cut into them.

My all-time favorite way to eat them is straight up into a green salad: sliced super thin with my Japanese mandoline.

I happened to have The Cooking Channel on when I was composing my salad, and Jamie Oliver was making a salad- he made this most amazingly simple dressing that I gotta say, made my radishes taste even better....

All he did was slice a few shallots super thin (hence why I love the mandoline!) and put a couple of tablespoons of vinegar and a pinch of salt on them in a bowl and left them to macerate for a few minutes. He then squeezed them out and scattered on the salad....the next part is what I deemed as "killa"- he took some creme fraiche (maybe 1/2 cup?) and added a tablespoon of vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper. I used yogurt and I used sherry vinegar, but I think you can vary the vinegar to your liking- just use good quality!

I normally don't make this type of dressing- not sure why either. Tart but creamy and so simple too. I think I will be keeping this one.

What are some of your favorite salad dressings?

1 comment:

  1. We are looking for great blogs and we would love it if you registered yours with us.

    PostZoom is a directory of the best blog posts which helps readers find great blog posts and blog owners drive more traffic to their blog.

    If you are interested in joining, please visit http://postzoom.com/register.aspx (yes, it’s completely free).

    Thanks,
    Eric Castelli
    PostZoom

    ReplyDelete